Everyone has a favourite bolognese sauce. We suggest adding lots of vegetables, which may not be traditional but will make for a balanced and satisfying meal. Serve with a green salad.
- 150g lean mince
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetables (carrot, capsicum, celery), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped, or 400g tin diced tomatoes
- Vegetable stock, as required
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano), chopped
- Brown mince in 1 teaspoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and carrots for 2 minutes in remaining olive oil.
- Add remaining vegetables and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add browned mince, tomato paste and stock.
- Season with black pepper.
- Simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir in fresh herbs just before serving.
Variation: Vegetarians may substitute finely chopped tofu or tempeh for mince.
NB: During the Maintenance Phase, an accompanying serving of cooked pasta, not exceeding 1/3 cup may be included.
Recipe Serves 1