Chicken Cakes in Tomato Sauce
These chicken cakes are full of flavour yet somehow still delicate.
They lend themselves perfectly to left overs, if any happen to remain uneaten!
You could either buy almond meal or make it at home by simply whizzing up whole, raw almonds in your food processor. The homemade version has a lot more texture and tastes much better!
Serve with steamed veg and quinoa.
(makes 8 chicken cakes)
For the chicken cakes:
- 500g minced organic chicken thigh fillets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 handfuls fresh parsley leaf, finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaf, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1/3 cup almond meal (see note above)
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 organic eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Cracked pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil for pan frying
For the tomato sauce:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 large onion, diced
- Dried chilli flakes to taste
- 150ml white wine
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomato
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1¼ tsp fine sea salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 tsp coconut sugar
- Begin by making the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan for which you have a lid. Add the paprika, ground cumin and coriander, onion and chilli flakes and sauté on low-medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, make the cakes. Combine all the ingredients except for the olive oil in a mixing bowl and mix together well. Shape the mixture into 8 cakes (80g each). Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Heat up a little olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat and sear the cakes for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden on both sides. You will probably have to do this in two batches.
- Place the cakes in the tomato sauce, partially covering each cake in the sauce. Cover the pan with the lid and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaf and serve.
Per Serving (recipe serves 8)