Slow Cooked Lamb
This is an absolute feast for relatively minimal effort! The flavour and texture of this dish are simply to die for and it’s great when entertaining for dinner as it never disappoints.
It is ideal to marinade the lamb overnight, but this is not essential and you will still yield delicious results without this step.
Make sure you are not too far from the oven on the day, as you’ll need to baste the lamb hourly. Serve with flat bread or rustic potato wedges, peas and a crunchy salad.
(Serves 4-6, depending on meat to bone ratio)
- 2-2.5 Kg lamb shoulder (on the bone)
- 3 oranges, juiced (keep the peel of 2)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 3 small rosemary stems, leaves roughly picked
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- Peel of 2 oranges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fine sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- Place the lamb shoulder in a baking dish fat side up. The dish should be a little larger than the lamb, but not too roomy.
- With a sharp knife, score the lamb by cutting through the fat at roughly every three centimetres.
- To make the marinade, whisk the orange juice, honey and tamari in a bowl and pour over the lamb. Add the rosemary and garlic, ensuring that you get some into the slashes you have made. Throw in the orange peel.
- If marinating, simply cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the lamb, season well with salt and pepper and let it stand at room temperature for 30-45 minutes. Add in the onions.
- Cover the baking dish with two layers of tin foil, ensuring a good seal. Place lamb on the top rack of the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 150°C.
- Roast for five hours, basting hourly.
- Remove foil and roast for another 30 minutes, basting if you notice that it’s drying up.
Some people prefer a less fatty dish. If so, at the end of cooking, transfer the cooking liquid into a glass dish and cover the lamb with foil. Leave the liquid to stand for about 10-15 minutes or until the fat has solidified at the top (it will be white). Scoop off the fat and pour the remaining liquid on the lamb.
Per Serving (recipe serves 6)